Battle of Nantwich & Winter Fayre 2021 cancelled due to coronavirus pandemic

The annual 'Battle of Nantwich & Winter Fayre’, which would have taken place in and around Nantwich town centre and on Mill Island on Saturday 23rd January 2021, has been cancelled. The ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and the resulting lockdown have obliged the cancellation of the event. The 'Battle of Nantwich & Winter Fayre’ is organised by the Holly Holy Day Society - a small non-profit group of people working with The Sealed Knot re-enactment society. It is hoped that the event will return in 2022. Holly Holy Day traces back to the 17th century and the four-year-long First English Civil War between the Parliamentarians (Roundheads) and the Royalists (Cavaliers) loyal to Charles I. This year is the 377th anniversary of the original battle, which took place on 25th January 1644. Colin Bisset, Captain of the Yeoman of the Sealed Knot, said: “I am very sorry, but under current circumstances, we cannot hold the Battle or indeed a small wreath-laying service of any kind.” Liz Parkin, Chair of the Holly Holy Day Society, said “It is with sadness that we are not able to hold the Battle this year. We thought we were the lucky ones being the only community organisation to hold an event last year but alas, we too have succumbed to Covid restrictions for our 2021 event. I am sure the excitement and spectacle that is the Battle of Nantwich will indeed be back with an even bigger bang next year!”




Recent Posts

See All